Minor in Science, Technology & Society
澳门赌场 most pressing issues of our time, from global climate change to digital surveillance, are at once social and scientific, political and technological. 澳门赌场 Science, Technology & Society minor explores these integral relationships, situating emerging technologies and scientific ideas within their complex histories and social politics. 澳门赌场s in STS work with faculty members trained in a range of disciplines from psychology and biology to geography and media studies. 澳门赌场y develop skills in applied scientific and technical research as well as capacities for critical, creative, and ethical reflection, examining the relationship between power and knowledge production in science and technology contexts.
澳门赌场 STS minor comprises three curricular components: two core courses (10 credits), one research methods course (5 credits), and two focus area courses (10 credits). This structure is designed to support individual areas of interests and foster interdisciplinary scholarship.
To complete the STS minor, students must complete the following core courses:
- BISSTS 307: Science, Technology & Society
- BISSTS 355: History of Science and Technology
澳门赌场 STS minor requires that students complete one of the following methods courses:
- BES 301: Science Methods and Practice
- BIS 312: Approaches to Social Research
- BIS 340: Approaches to Cultural Research
This requirement reflects a pedagogical attention to the production of knowledge — asking students to consider the social and cultural contexts of methodological practice.
Focus Area Courses
澳门赌场 STS minor requires that students complete one course in each of the following focus areas:
Social and Cultural Studies of Science and Technology
澳门赌场se classes examine the social and cultural context of scientific knowledge production and technological development. *Please note that the list of courses will be maintained by the School of IAS.
- BHS 201 Introduction to Public Health
- BST 205 Women in STEM
- BIS 218 澳门赌场 Power of Maps
- BHLTH 224 Disease, Human History, Society & Civilization
- BIS 233 Participatory Media Culture
- BIS 235 Critical Media Literacy
- BIS 236 Introduction to Interactive Media
- BIS 252 Politics of Science
- BHS 300 Principles of Health Research
- BHS 302 Social Dimensions of Health
- BIS 307 Environmental Justice
- BIS 332 Global Digital Industries
- BISMCS 333 Media and Communication Studies
- BIS 352 Mapping Communities
- BIS 380 Bioethics
- BIS 382 Health, Medicine and Society
- BIS 421 Technology Policy
- BISSTS 420 Race, Gender, Science, and Medicine
- BST 445 Political Economy of Energy
- BIS 458 Energy, the Environment, and Society
- BISMCS 478 Visual Communications
Science and Technology Practice
澳门赌场se classes engage in applied scientific research and/or technological design. In addition, these classes situate research and design practice within broader social and cultural contexts. *Please note that the list of courses will be maintained by the School of IAS.
- BISSTS 231 Genes, Genomes & Heredity
- B BIO 233 Cancer: Biology, Risk and Treatment
- BIS 242 Environmental Geography
- BIS 243 Introduction to Environmental Issues
- BIS 244 Wetlands Discovery
- BIS 246 Introduction to Sustainability
- BIS 285 Seminar in Biology
- BES 303 Environmental Monitoring Practicum
- B BIO 305 澳门赌场 Science and Ethics of Stem Cells
- B BIO 310 Brain and Behavior
- BES 311 Environmental Chemistry
- BES 312 Ecology
- BES 316 Ecological Methods
- BEARTH 317 Soils Laboratory
- BEARTH 318 Hydrogeology
- BEARTH 320 Impacts of Climate Change
- BEARTH 321 Geomorphology
- B BIO 330 Marine Biology
- BEARTH 341 Natural Hazards and Human Disasters
- BISMCS 402 Community Media Practice
- BES 362 Introduction to Restoration Ecology
- BHS 403 Introduction to Epidemiology
- BIS 422 Clinical Psychology
- BES 439 Computer Modeling and the Environment
- BES 485 Conservation Biology
- BST 446 Sustainable Energy
- BIS 459 Conservation and Sustainable Development
Total: 25 credits
澳门赌场s must earn a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA for courses applied to the minor.
A minimum of 15 credits applied to the minor must be completed in residence at UW Bothell.
澳门赌场s are required to take at least 15 credits at the 300-400 level coursework out of 25 credits.
Note: Classes in this minor are offered primarily during the day-time hours.
If you have questions regarding the minor in STS, please contact the IAS Advisors at IASadv@uw.edu.